Saturday, April 7, 2012

2. Island in the City

I suppose I should say that I'm a DC transplant. I moved here from Michigan about a week after graduating college to fulfill a semi-life long dream of working in politics. Here I am, almost two years later and I have a great job and for the most part, really love the city.

But every once in a while, a girl has to get out. This week I had Friday off for Good Friday and the boyfriend and I decided to take a trip to Roosevelt Island. If I'm being honest, I didn't even know this place existed. Roosevelt Island is a little island in between VA and DC with a huge monument for President Teddy Roosevelt in the center and about 4 miles of walking trails around it.

The plan was to get Whole Foods salad and have a picnic on the Island, but it was a little cold and windy for that, so we sat in a park near the apartment before we headed out.


Every time one of these I get a half scoop of...well...everything. Whoops. 
I could have eaten 11 of them.


Once we got over to the Island we quickly found a big slab of rock that was suitable for laying on. We sat for about 20 minutes and enjoyed the sun and the view to Rosslyn. 


My mountain man, after a little tutorial on how to pose for pictures. 


Before we left I had put together a super cute outfit, curled my hair, etc. Then we got outside and it was freezing - t-shirt, zip-up and ponytail it is!


Hah. I took this right before we left. Tell me this does not look like the fence at District 12!?


This is the only good picture I got of the monument. Unfortunately it doesn't even show a fraction of the actual thing. I thought this little boy was just precious. 


That was the start of the weekend. Today I saw Kevo off before he headed home for Easter and am having trouble tearing myself away from Khloe and Lamar and my large pot of coffee. 


axoxo,

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment